Sunday 14 February 2010

thanks but not thanks, I’ll keep my face.

with all the tabloid fodder out there (‘dirty filler’ as I like to call it) it’s not unusual for us on a daily basis to see pictures of models and actresses who have had plastic surgery.  So many pages dedicated to ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots and who has had what done. But for some reason like many people this one just makes me feel sad.  To see a beautiful young girl in her early twenties spend so much money on so many surgeries, only to make her look like a 40 year old woman with an expressionless face, I just wonder what’s going on in that head.
First let me point out like most women, I too have insecurities about my looks.   There will always be a part of me that still thinks I am that geeky kid walking down the street.  But never in my life have I wanted to change my entire face. 
So what does my face look like? …Well, I have a slightly large nose that to me kind of stands out in photos,  my smile can look a little kooky because it’s straight (the sides of my mouth don’t curve up). There is a scar on my forehead that when I get flustered heats up and lets you see where the stiches went.  I also have a hole  in my left cheek from a cut that never healed properly when I was a child, and then of course the moles and freckles on my face, including one big freckle right in the middle of my nose.  
But these are all mine and nobody else can have them. 
What others view as imperfections I view as the things that make me beautiful as an individual.  These lovely little scars, freckles, moles, wrinkles are all mine. 
They are my history and tell so many stories.
And I can’t help but feel that this girls history has gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment